Friday, April 17, 2009

Becoming Female

Someone once shared a story about a girl, about her youth years back. She had ambitions, just like any girl would. She did a lot in her youth, did numerous things that she personally enjoyed. She was into radio and stuff like that. She also had certain dreams of becoming a teacher, to the point of going back to school to prepare herself for that desired career. She did it well, and was off to take the licensure exam. For someone who had the will, you just might think that her story ended the way she wanted it to. But, sadly, it didn't. She had to give everything up. She didn't end up working. She stayed home and became a mother. Why? She fell in love. And she gave up everything out of LOVE. Was she happy? Yes, but she could have been happier.
The moral of the story? That someone said, "When you fall in love, don't give up everything, especially your career." And that person's point hit me so hard that I was compelled to be more driven.
Women have always had this certain image: They grow up, find a man, fall in love, get married, and be a mother. There was a certain period wherein women who were unmarried in their thirties and forties were found weird. Women were supposed to be married and taking care of the family, that means staying home. Men have always been the ones who were supposed to work and support women and children. They were the ones everyone was supposed to depend on. Off they go in their uniforms while their wives (who are in aprons) and kids wave them goodbye. But women have learned to pick up the reigns and ride the winds of change. Women can work. They can go do whatever they want with their lives and not get married till they die. They can go out on late nights to party and work their ass off the next day and reap the fruits of their labor come month-end and spend it all again. Women can be independent. They should be.
It hurts a man's ego when a woman has a higher position than him. It's embarrassing to him when his wife is the woman supporting their family. And it crushes them to know that a woman can live without them, as a whole independent individual. Men are idealists, most do not welcome change. But it's the 21st century, it's about time they swallow their pride and welcome the new era with humility.
I, personally, will not succumb to the ideal image of a woman. I know what I want and not even love will stop me. If a man cannot take the fact that I'm going to try my best to be what I want to be even if he is around, he is welcome to walk away. I don't need someone who's going to suffocate me and not allow me the same rights and privileges he enjoys. I am strong-willed. I am ambitious. I am female. Complete and strong enough to be independent.
And so, you wonder, who taught me all this?



My mother.

No comments: